aprs.fi v1.8.1 released
GainIO has released aprs.fi version 1.8.1 for iOS. This is the official iPhone and iPad application of aprs.fi, the APRS web site of the amateur radio world. Obtain immediate, real-time access to current APRS position information, weather reports, telemetry graphs, and more. Zoom and browse around the world and see stations immediately – no waiting.
- Search callsigns and addresses, with quick search-as-you-type and search history features
- Track multiple stations at the same time
- Filter information shown on the map (weather stations, AIS)
- View weather, telemetry and statistic graphs
- Beacon your position on aprs.fi
- Attach to a transceiver with a wireless connection to a BLE TNC, receive and transmit position beacons without the Internet
- Runs directly on top of the reliable and fast aprs.fi database
- Tested to work great on iPhone 5, 6, 7, 8, X, iPad 2, iPad Mini and all newer models
- Supports iOS 9/10/11/12
aprs.fi for iOS can be downloaded for $6.99 from the Apple App Store
What’s New in Version 1.8.1
- TNC beaconing: Selected APRS packet path is stored in station config, and defaults to WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
- Beacon view: Improved error reporting for TNC disconnection and network errors
- Beacon view: New switch to enable/disable transmitting altitude
- Beacon view: Improved validation and informational popups about correct AX.25 callsign syntax
- Beaconing has slightly stricter requirement for position fix accuracy (200 meters) to reduce jumping around a lot when inside without GPS coverage
- Map: New app setting to enable/disable displaying current location on the map, sometimes it obstructs the view too much
- Map: Road traffic layer is now disabled by default due to app crashes in the traffic layer code. Can be re-enabled in app settings.
What’s New in Version 1.8.0
- Supports attaching to a radio transceiver with a wireless connection to a BLE TNC. Receive and transmit APRS position beacons without the Internet!
- Use the filtering feature to select TNC- or Network-sourced data, or a merged view of both. Other filters do not yet apply for TNC data.
- Dark symbols are more visible on dark map styles now, with a white shadow
- Some bug fixes for symbol rotation
- Minimum beacon interval slider has a logarithmic scale for better precision in the low end
- Accessibility improvements
- Requires iOS 9 or newer; iOS 8 support had to be dropped for technical reasons.
Support for the aprs.fi iOS app for iPhone and iPad is available at http://aprs.fi/page/app_support